What this script does
With this script you can grow your user base by motivating your visitors to refer your site on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, forums, blogs, via email etc., in exchange for prizes or rewards.
This is a great marketing technique for any type of site. Especially since you can give away all kinds of prizes and it can even be used as a waitlist since there is a way to show users their position (rank) on the signup list which is also shown in the admin panel.
You can modify the email templates so that they display custom messages when a user receives a new referral and also when they are awarded the prize. This works great for digital downloads since you can include a link to the download in the goal reached email.
In the admin panel, you can add numerous prizes which are all triggered based on how many users people refer. As mentioned, each prize has customizable email templates.
Additionally, this script utilizes:
And has support for:
- Bootstrap 3
- Geo Lite
- Google Analytics
- Mixpanel Analytics
Want to embed Referrals for Prizes into an existing webpage on your site? See my iframe example.
Give Referrals for Prizes a cool lightbox effect!
Add Referrals for Prizes to Your WordPress blog!
As mentioned, this script can work with just about any type of site. Additionally, prizes can motivate your visitors to refer your site more because as many already know, paid referral systems typically have payout minimums so if your visitors don’t believe they can reach that payout limit, they might not even try…
With Referrals for Prizes, you can give them prizes that they get as soon as they’ve referred a few of their friends. These prizes can be:
And anything else you can think of…
- Downloadable music, movies, software, themes, photos or anything else
- Gift cards or vouchers
- Discount coupons
- Specials pricing on merchandise
- Free merchandise
- Free memberships
- Discounted memberships
- Access to online courses
Note that in the demo version, IP blocking has been disabled so that you can test the script. As mentioned, the IP blocker prevents existing users from signing up again with the same IP.
To test the script, use additional email addresses and be sure to clear your cookies prior to signing up with the referral link.
You can verify whether you have the latest version of this script by reading the “version_information.txt” file in the “referral” directory. Current version is 1.2.
Version 1.2 changes:
Added iframe detection.
Added placeholder to signup box input field.
Pages now show a default image if a prize image hasn’t been uploaded. The default image is in “referral/images/default_image.png”.
Edited email template functions so that they no longer use file_get_contents to avoid having to enable allow_url_fopen.
Fixed a warning message in referral_email_edit.php.
Removed some unused files from the template directory.
Cleaned up some CSS.
Version 1.1 changes:
2 files were updated for the following reasons:
- Goal reached emails weren’t sent if there was more than 1 enabled level.
- Users weren’t added to the database when they won a prize if there was more than 1 level enabled.
- Span HTML tag was added to the subject of goal reached emails.
- Installation Video
- Quick Start Guide
- Front End Demo
- Back End Demo
PHP 5.x and MySQL 5.x
How easy is it to install this script?
The package comes with an installation wizard so you can install the script in about 5 minutes. No need to edit files manually.
- Installation wizard.
- Responsive design using Bootstrap 3.
- Iframe detection so that you or your referrers can embed referrals for prizes into a webpage.
- Add numerous levels of prizes.
- Ability to enter the number of referrals required, upload an image, enter a title and description for each prize.
- Customizable email templates. Enter custom text for each prize which includes customizing the progress templates and goal reached templates. Other templates such as the activation email template, welcome email template and account access email template are also editable.
- The email body is edited using a WYSIWYG (TinyMCE).
- Ability to preview templates via the admin panel.
- Ability to view user’s positions on the sign up list. Users are ordered by rank. Rank is determined by how many users they’ve referred and time of sign up.
- Ability to view who has won a prize so that you can award them the prizes they’ve won. You can archive users that you’ve awarded prizes to.
- Configure your site via the admin panel. This includes uploading your site logo and email logo; entering your site name and email address; META tags info; Facebook tags info (Open graph tags); choosing which social buttons to display and more.
- Define site text via the admin panel. This includes text in emails and on the front-end of the site.
- Add additional admins via the admin panel.
- Add bots (or placeholders) so that users that have just signed up, don’t hit the #1 ranking position for just signing up.
- Send the emails out via Mandrill or regular PHP mail.
- Add Google analytics or Mixpanel.
- And more…